Technical Sales Engineer
Delmec are an international telecommunications service provider, established in 1975 and based in Carlow, Ireland that has a number of operations internationally within Europe, Africa and Asia. The core divisions of the business are in the manufacture and supply of telecoms towers and masts, the installation and construction of telecommunication base stations, and the structural audit, inspection and design analysis of telecoms infrastructure, providing high quality services, internationally to mobile phone operators, tower portfolio managers and infrastructure developers in over 40 countries.
Position: Technical Sales Engineer
Location: Carlow (Hybrid)
Role Description and Skills:
Delmec is a multi-disciplined engineering team that needs a Technical Sales Engineer to interpret the customer’s needs and communicate and manage these internally in Delmec. This will include creating project scopes, working to develop solutions and communicating proposals internally and externally. This role helps define the scope for multiple services including project management, drawing, analysis, civils, structural steel, fabrication, rigging and electrical to give our customers what they need. We are looking for someone with a multiskilled engineering background to design and select the appropriate service or product to solve our customer’s needs and translate their requirements into engineering solution proposals.
The Technical Sales Engineer will have a strong technical understanding of the complexities of what our company supplies and offers together with excellent communication skills. They will be collaborating directly with production, design, engineering and innovation, operations and sales departments to determine what combinations of products and services will suit the needs of the customer.
The ideal candidate would have experience and skills in both customer facing and technical roles. Good communication and an understating of engineering services will be seen as key abilities. Previous knowledge of areas such as building, installation, civils, product assembly or manufacture will be an advantage as the ideal employee will need to understand the time required to complete tasks or projects. Extensive on the job training will be given to familiarise the candidate with Delmec’s capabilities and services. Candidates should be confident public speakers as they will need to propose solutions to the client directly. The ability to develop and maintain strong working relationships with internal and external stakeholders at all levels is important. The Technical Sales Engineer will report to the Head of Engineering & Innovation and work closely with the customer account managers. Knowledge of the telecoms infrastructure industry would be an advantage.
The role will involve:
- Responsibility for selecting proposing and developing solutions for existing and potential customers and support the sales functions in a technical environment
- Determine the technical requirements to meet client goals and act as liaison between sales, engineering, and operations departments
- Provide technical advice and recommendations to customers and colleagues
- Use technical skills to demonstrate to potential customers the usefulness of the product or service and how it may suit the customer better than competing products and services
- Manage or support the sales bid process/ tender process
- Sell and consult on advanced products and services
- Build business value throughout the selling engagement while crafting a unique selling position
- Collaborate directly with sales and key account team as technical expert to support pre-sales activities and in customer presentations
- Liaise with colleagues across the company to help ensure solution design activities are documented and tracked as required
- Analyse the existing products and services and help develop solutions that resonate with our customer requirements
- Act as the technical adviser to project teams, colleagues and customers providing specialist technical expertise of the highest level
- Respond to requests for information or requests for proposals for customers, supplying the technical details of proposed solutions
- Co-ordinate the transition between pre-sales specifications and implementation engineering once contracts have been awarded
- Work closely with sales to ensure successful closure of the sales process
- Contribute to the deployment of new products and services within Delmec
- Keep abreast of market trends, products, and competitor landscapes
- Degree or a combination of education and experience in engineering or a related field
- 3+ years industry experience in engineering or consulting roles
- Proven technology skills and ability
- Client facing skills with excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving capabilities and prioritisation skills
- Ability to understand, navigate and build relationships both internally and externally
- Presentation skills with high attention to detail
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Highly proficient in MS office
This is an excellent opportunity for an Engineer to make a real impact to shape what Delmec do and where we are going.
Our offices are based just 1 hour outside Dublin and can be accessed from the M9. If you are interested in discussing this role in confidence then please complete the form below and upload a copy of your CV.